26 December 2017 · posted in thoughts
The holiday season is something I look forward to each year as it means getting a few weeks off work to recharge but it's also a time I look forward to on a more personal level as the end of a year means the start of a new one. Of course I know that it is all symbolic and there is no actual blank slate but I feel like each new year presents us with the opportunity to start fresh, make new plans, hold on to the good and let go of the bad.
Each year that goes by seems to go by just a little bit faster than the one before and writing this now I'm wondering how again I am taken by surprise that 2017 is almost over. It sounds so very cliché and I'm aware that you've all read it a thousand times before so I know I'm not the only one experiencing the holiday season blues. I'm feeling a little torn between emotions and it's making we feel all nostalgic on the one hand and excited on the other. Another year gone by means 365 days of my life that I will never get a chance to experience again, 365 days of good and bad choices I cannot make differently even if I wanted to. Another year gone by also means 365 days of experiences and memories that are mine to keep and cherish forever, no matter what happens next.
During the winter holiday season I like to reflect on the year I've had and think about all those experiences and memories I've gathered. This past year I feel like somehow, I've grown up more than the years before and for the first time, being an adult doesn't seem completely strange to me. I could say that in some ways I've become closer to myself than I've ever been before and it feels good to be able to say that. No more veils to hide behind, no more unrealistic expectations to live up to, no more trying to be someone I'm not. So here's a little list of all the wonderfully mundane things that were part of my life in 2017 and all the wonderfully mundane things that I am wishing for myself for 2018.
· Getting my own classroom in an International School
· Styling and furnishing our living room
· Becoming close friends with some wonderful women
· Rebranding this online space
· Experimenting with photography & Instagram
· Bungee jumping in Croatia
· Joining a fitness center and getting a FitBit
· Taking big steps towards a healthy mind-body relationship
· Finding a balance between life, work and blogging
· Becoming more spontaneous & accepting of changed plans
· Finally figuring out how to keep on top of laundry & ironing
· Taking more photographs of our life the way it is
· Figuring out a way to make and store hard copies of those photo memories that works for me
· Being unapologetically honest with myself and others
· Smile more!